Hi! We’ll be featuring some of our officers up on this blog with their answers to the following questions:
1. What’s the most interesting dietetics related experience you have had? This summer or even before.
2. What’s the coolest thing you did or place you visited this summer?
3. Words of advice as this semester kicks into high gear?
First up is our BADA representative and the talent behind the amazing banana bread (and the corn muffins I didn’t get to try).
1) The most interesting dietetics related experience I had was of helping a girl in a weight loss class calculate her calorie intake for 3 days. That was when I was challenged to really take what I knew about food groups and nutrition in order help a patient suffering from obesity learn more about how to improve her lifestyle. I never knew I had so much to offer to the general public until then, when I was able to teach a girl how to eat and live healthily, and give her suggestions on what foods to avoid and what to eat more of.
2) The coolest thing I did this summer was run and bike on the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s been something I’ve been wanting to do since freshman year. It was definitely a memorable experience, biking on that grand bridge.
3) Words of Advice: be proactive! Don’t be afraid to ask questions in class, or get to know your professors. Many professors and GSI’s have a lot of knowledge and volunteer opportunities to offer, but you will only hear about them if you take the initiative to get to know them and ask them first!
Soon to come are Carolina’s answers along with the much-belated post on her choco-oat cookies, Mayra’s answers, an article on a dietitian and updates about our events and from our committees. Let me know also if you would like to contribute something! This is meant to be a forum for members and officers to connect, share and stay informed.